Today we're replacing Cam Report and Dailies Viewer on the App Store with their new and improved descendants: Set Report and Dailies Viewer 2.
The biggest changes in both apps are related to how they connect to Dailies Creator: Pairing is gone, and you now use good, old logins for connecting, which means that you no longer need to be on-set to add Viewer or Set Report to a production.
When and how to upgrade
Set Report and Dailies Viewer 2 will install alongside the old apps, which means that you'll have the option to keep using Cam Report and Viewer 1 as before. Copying a regular production from Cam Report to Set Report is easy (see below). Neither app is backwards compatible with Dailies Creator 1, though.
- If you're just using Cam Report on its own, you can either keep using it for productions that are on-going, or you can migrate to Set Report. See instructions below.
- If you're starting a new production that will use Set Report stand-alone, we recommend upgrading straight away.
- If you have an active production that uses Dailies Creator 1, we recommend that you keep using Dailies Viewer 1 and Cam Report with it.
- If you'd like to take Dailies 2 for a spin, please let us know, and we might be able to offer you a seat as a pilot user.
Dailies Viewer 2 is free, just like its predecessor. Set Report does cost money, but not more than a few fancy coffees. If you've just bought Cam Report, though, please let us know, and we might be able to provide the upgrade for free.
Migrating productions from Cam Report to Set Report
Since Set Report installs alongside Cam Report, iOS considers them completely separate applications, and they won't be able to see each other's data. You can copy productions from CR to SR (but not the other way) using iTunes:
- Connect the device running Cam Report to your Mac or PC using a USB cable.
- Open iTunes.
- Use the iTunes file sharing feature to first copy the productions in question from Cam Report to your Mac/PC, and then back to Set Report on your iOS device.
Changes in Set Report
- New, fine-grained uploading of objects from Set Report to Creator. The selected objects are sent, along with the objects they depend on. For instance, uploading a day will also upload its associated slates, the slate's camera and takes, and the production object itself (producer name etc.) Everything's now explicit, which hopefully makes much more sense than the old sync model.
- Add roll to help text for RED names (the one you see when you tap the info button next to the filename field).
- Move info button to left side of filename cell.
- Fix bugs related to behaviour and layout of filename field.
- Fix bug that caused filename field not to save its contents if user didn't tapp Done.
Changes in Dailies Viewer 2
- Fixed bug that caused lens to be displayed twice in metadata popover.
- Thumbnails are displayed as soon as they've been downloaded, both in the shelf and the navigators.
- Download indicators (the down arrows) are updated similarily.
- Scrolling in Viewer is smoother, and thumbnails no longer flicker.
- Reduce Zeroconf/Bonjour DNS timeout from five seconds to one. This should still be plenty for Creator to respond, but makes the app feel snappier for the user.
- Change app name to Dailies Viewer 2.
- Change background image.
- New icon.
- Fix bug that caused crash when displaying metadata in Viewer.
- Only display T-stop if set.
- Improve display of orientation.